Thursday, October 18, 2018

The Times and I - (Part 3)

The Times and I - (Part 3)

In my third year in medical college I went home to Bombay for holidays and saw a Times of India ad inviting applications for training in journalism. By then the original British publisher of Times Group  had been bought over by a major Indian company. For fun, I applied. I sent in cuttings of articles and stories I had published in newspapers and magazines (one of the diversionary tactics I was busy with in medical college), including Times Group publications. I was called for an interview. The business head of the company did not ask me any questions. He just said I was selected. I told him I was in the third year of medical college and had applied hoping I could have a weekly column in the Times. He said he was not authorized to do that, but I could join as a trainee next day. I thanked him and walked out of a professional journalist's career.

*

Ms. Jagjit Daniel's Dreams of One Country. Novel: United States of India Rises! In the midst of historic events a Love-inspired woman's campaign for Humane Values launches India's ascent... to join the world's elite developed nations!

***

No comments: