Wednesday, October 17, 2018

The Times and I - (Part 2)

The Times and I - (Part 2)

Later, however, my contacts with the Times continued. My father wanted me become a doctor. He felt that was the best way I could help the family. Those days the middle class choices of career were medicine, engineering or, at worst, law. I had no such interest. I was busy through junior college and medical college in a rare variety of diversionary tactics (more on that later), which included writing freelance humor and short stories. They were published in Times of India, Indian Express, Midday, Femina, Shankar's Weekly, Thought etc.
One of the Times Editors, the one who wrote a humorous third editorial, M. V. M., became a friend. I would drop in on him whenever I went from medical college to Bombay for holidays. Depending on when I met him, we would go to the 1st floor of the VT Station for lunch or to the Excelsior Cinema's open air restaurant for coffee - and discus the latest  scientific discoveries or writing.

*
Ms. Jagjit Daniel's Dreams of One Country. Novel: United States of India Rises! In the midst of historic events a Love-inspired woman's campaign for Humane Values launches India's ascent... to join the world's elite developed nations!

***

No comments: