Friday, October 20, 2023

1950s: School Kid On Bombay Metro Cinema's Stage During Movie 'Kim'

                1950s: School Kid On Bombay Metro Cinema's Stage During Movie 'Kim'

The movie based on Rudyard Kipling's novel Kim was released at Metro, Dhobi Talao, Bombay, in the early 1950s. Starring Errol Flynn, it was about an orphaned English boy played by Dean Stockwell who is caught up in a spy intrigue in Kashmir during British rule. To attract school children Metro arranged a painting or writing competition. I took part in it. As a result I got a free ticket and had to go up on the Metro stage during the show's interval. I was expected to make a humorous speech. The subject I chose was: If I Was The Food Minister. I think India's Food Minister then was Shri Jagjivan Ram. I doubt the speech I wrote and learnt by heart entertained or amused anyone. But as a kid I enjoyed the opportunity to go up on the Metro stage and, of course, the free movie ticket.      

                                                                            *

Books by Drs Ms  Jagjit & John Daniel: Doctor At Home (EastWest Books): Tips on Health And Fitness For The Whole Family. Dreams of One Country (Amazon Kindle): The campaign of a young woman, Priya Jha, unites youth and powers India's ascent to join world's leading nations!                       Click here to preview Dreams of One Country: https://www.amazon.com/Dreams-One-Country-World-class-Modernization/dp/152098944X/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmrnull_3?keywords=dreams+of+one+country+jagjit&qid=1554134768&s=gateway&sr=8-3-fkmrnull 

                                                                         ***

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: